This is one of my favorite Easy Breezy Lemon Squeezy super healthy recipes and it only takes 20 minutes!
Featuring the super power stars turmeric, cumin, garlic, a combo of anti inflammatory, mineral packed and vitamin full.
Cumin Scented Shakshuka. Seriously you can't beat that combo!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 2-10 clove Garlic, minced/ crushed. You know I like my Garlic. (Garlic health benefits)
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 4 cups ripe diced tomatoes, or 1 container of sugar free tomato sauce
- My mom adds 1 spoon full of tomato paste as well for intense color and thickness.
- 1-2 tea spoons of Turmeric.(Turmeric health benefits)
- 1-2 tea spoons of Cumin.(Cumin health benefit)
- 1 tsp chili powder (mild) if desired ...or sweet paprika
- Pinch of brown sugar (optional, to taste, sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs per person
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Heat a deep, large skillet or sauté pan on medium heat. Slowly warm olive oil in the pan. Add chopped onion, sauté for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to sauté till mixture is fragrant.
- Add the pepper, sauté for 5-7 minutes over medium until softened.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste to pan, stir till blended or add the content of one sugar free tomato sauce.
- Add spices and a pinch sugar to cut acidity , stir well, and allow mixture to simmer over medium heat for 5-7 minutes till it starts to reduce. At this point, you can taste the mixture and spice it according to your preferences. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, directly over the tomato mixture, making sure to space them evenly over the sauce.
- Cover the pan. Allow mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked and the sauce has slightly reduced.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley or cilantro.
- I like to serve it with side of hummus and whole wheat pita or crusty country bread.
- Add a fresh salad and you'll have a full meal in 20 minutes.
The Spice Detective