Middle eastern spiced poached pears !
This is one of my favorite desserts, I actually consider it super healthy, I use apple juice instead of sugar, and between the pears, the spices and the dried fruit. Well you have a winner on all fronts.
Its actually pretty Easy, Breezy, Lemon Squeezy
- 3 cup apple juice
- 3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Optional - Half cup brown sugar only if you like it sweeter, the apple juice makes it sweet enough for me.
- 5 cinnamon stick
- 5-10 star anise
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tea spoon ground ginger
- Medley of your favorite dried fruit such as , prunes, apricots, dried apples, raisins.
- 4 -5 firm pears, peeled with stalks attached
- Combine the apple juice , red wine, lemon juice, and spices in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Place the pears in the pot.(covered in liquid)
- Poach over low hit for 15-20 minutes or until tender but not soft , make sure they’re still have firmness to them so they don’t fall apart.
- Remove the pears from pot and while they cool off , add the dried fruit medley to the spiced sauce. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Pour a small amount of the syrup in the bottom of dessert dishes and place the pears on top.
- Add dried fruits medley to the plate on the side of each pear. Feel free to garnish with the cinnamon stick and star anise from the pot.
- Optional addition: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and for vegans adding coconut or rice milk ice cream. Goat cheese ice cream can work great with those flavors.
Please send me photos once you do make this recipe and don’t forget to hit the little SHARE button so your family and friends can enjoy this too.
The Spice Detective.