Recipe by: The Food Babe
Serves: 6-8 cups
- 1 whole chicken or chicken bones (3-4 pounds)
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 quarts of filtered water
- Place all of the ingredients except the salt and pepper in a large pot. Pour the water over the chicken and vegetables until it is just covered. You may have more water than needed.
- Bring the water to a boil, skimming off any foam that floats to the top. Cover and turn down to a low simmer. Cook for 3-4 hours. (Alternatively, you can make this in a slow cooker on low for 12-24 hours)
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. You can store the stock in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.