Lentils are so packed with nutrients and fiber, and once cooked and pureed they resemble the texture of ground beef. They are perfect as a beef replacement and also contain lots of high quality protein. I love making Lentil Meat balls. It's easy and healthy and can always be spiced differently according to my mood.
For the basic recipe you’ll need.
• 1 cup dried lentils
• ½ chopped onion
• ½ cup chopped carrot
• ½ cup chopped celery
• Tea spoon turmeric
• 1 tea spoon cumin
• 1⁄2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
• Chopped cilantro or parsley ( or both)
• 1 dash Celtic salt
• 1 dash pepper
• Optional chopped walnuts
• 2-3 eggs
- Cook lentil with 4 cups of water , salt pepper and a little olive oil. Let it cool in a large bowl.
- In a pan sauté the onion , carrot and celery until soft. Once cooled start mixing it with the cooked lentil. Use your hands and mix in the herbs , spices, bread crumbs walnuts and eggs.
- The mix should feel easy to form balls with. If too dry add egg, if too wet add whole wheat bread crumbs.
- Taste for flavoring. If necessary add some Celtic salt.
- Form balls from the mixture and place in an oiled oven safe baking sheet.
- Bake for 1-20 minutes and let stand.
You can separately make your favorite tomato sauce and served the lentil meat ball with the sauce, alongside fresh salad.
To your health!!
Please don’t forget to send me questions and/or your recipes!!
The Spice Detective.