WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 1 serrano chile (or less, to taste)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1 small white onion
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
WHAT TO DO
- Remove the paper from the tomatillos and rinse them. Remove the stem from the serrano chile. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tomatillos, chile and garlic on top and broil on high for 5 minutes, until starting to blacken and soften, then flip the tomatillos and roast the other side for about 5 minutes (the tomatillos will change from green to olive green).
- Allow to cool, then transfer everything (including juices) to a blender. Add cilantro and ¼ cup water and blend to the desired consistency.
- Finely dice onion, then rinse under cold water and shake to remove excess moisture. Combine with the tomatillo mixture in a serving dish along with ½ teaspoon salt. Taste and add additional salt if necessary.