Article by: Tastemade
- 2 sweet potatoes (to yield 1 1/2 cups purée)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3⁄4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 11⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 11⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Steam the sweet potatoes until tender, then remove skin and mash into puree.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the purée, almond milk, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.
- Heat a waffle maker until hot.
- Spread about 1 heaping cup of the batter over the hot waffle iron and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the waffle is golden-brown on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with additional pure maple syrup.